EH020_CarbonMonoxideAlarm

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by definition is “an illness caused by exposure to too much carbon monoxide — a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. Too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe can greatly diminish your ability to absorb oxygen, leading to serious tissue damage. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death.” (Mayo Clinic)

On average, CO poisoning kills more than 400 Americans each year, sending an additional 24,000 to the hospital each year.

How does CO poisoning relate to you as a homeowner? For one, the source of deadly levels of the gas can be found in almost every room in your home.

Though many of your appliances alleviate the stress of many routine tasks (heating the water, drying clothes, etc.), it’s these same household helpers that can also introduce carbon monoxide into the home if not properly maintained.

When fuel burning devices like furnaces, water heaters, clothes dryers and fireplaces aren’t properly vented, they can release dangerous amounts of CO into your home. High levels of CO in your home are difficult to detect and incredibly dangerous, especially since CO is odorless, colorless and tasteless.

EH020_Fireplace

Fortunately, the risk of CO poisoning can be greatly reduced with a few preventative measures and proper appliance maintenance:

  • Have your heating system, water heater and other natural gas burning appliances checked by a technician at least once a year
  • Install a battery-powered CO detector
  • In the event of a power outage, never run a portable generator or gas-powered engine more than 20 feet from an open window or vent
  • Don’t use tape to patch vents – these types of patches can lead to CO build up
  • Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even if the door is up

CO poisoning can have adverse affects on every member of your household – endangering children, adults and even animals. Certain individuals, like babies and people suffering from chronic heart disease, anemia or respiratory problems, are at an even higher risk.

In the event that you suspect there may be unhealthy levels of CO present in your home, there are a few common symptoms of CO poisoning you can look out for, which include:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion

As the Dallas, Plano, Richardson and North Texas HVAC and AC Repair experts, Efficient Home Solutions is happy to offer our customers an extensive 29-Point Heater/Furnace System Inspection for just $49 (Residential only). Valued at $145, this system inspection includes a CO check by our experienced Comfort Specialists. This is just one way to better protect your home from dangerous CO leaks. Call Efficient Home Solutions at (972) 235-2600 or click here to schedule your HVAC inspection today.

coupon_29_point

Related articles on carbon monoxide poisoning:

 

 

 

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
Energy Savings Calculator